Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Tanks for Nothing

Over the course of the past few years, I've dragged... oh, say... 3 dozen propane tanks out of the river. Why would items like propane tanks end up in the rivers? First, the old tanks were made obsolete in 2002. You can't fill it, so you had to get a new one and get rid of the old one. Second, local landfills and recycling centers charge you to get rid of the old tank. So that costs a few bucks. I guess the only sensible thing to do is kick the old one into the river.

Now, months or years later, I find it and take it to the recycling center who, through their generosity decide to take them for no fee because it's part of an environmental clean-up project.
Kind, yes, but it's a great deal of work for what seems like no reason at all. I understand towns need to charge to dispose of problematic items, but I also think that leads to increased illegal dumping.

-Ed

No comments: