Sunday, July 29, 2007

Nashua River - Bolton Flats

Generally the Bolton flats area lies between Route 117 in Bolton and the Oxbow National Wildlife Refuge. There's a significant trash problem there, and I've been working on it over recent weeks from the 117 side.

The trouble with this stretch is that there are many obstructions which create several impassable areas. If I was doing a 1-way trip downstream I wouldn't have to portage, but carrying cargo is a problem for maneuverability and being heavy in the water.

Saturday, I threw in at the Oxbow at Still River Depot and headed upstream. I hadn't traveled that stretch in about 2 months so I wasn't sure what I'd find. My goal was to paddle as far upstream as I could, collect what I could carry and survey what needed to be done. In that, I was successful.

I paddled as far as I could until I reached a logjam that must only be a mile or so from Rt. 117, it was simply impassable without portage, and portage would have also been quite difficult. So I turned around and headed back. I'd collected a lot of debris, and spotted a few more areas of concern. I'm pretty sure in a good day, with 2-3 trips I could finish that stretch. There were 3 tires, I collected one and sent the others further downstream for easier collection on another day.

No comments: