Sunday, July 22, 2007

Big Wheel, big deal

Yesterday I went paddling on the Nashua River at the 117 put-in. We'd had some rain so the water level was a bit higher than recent weeks. I had just completed the first trip downstream and was on my way for round 2, and I ran into a couple canoeing down to the Bolton Flats area.

They questioned whether I was a member of the Nashua RIver Paddlers (apparently some group) or whether I was just doing this on my own. That kind of puzzled me a bit since I've only ever seen the presence of the Friends of the Oxbow contribute in any way to cleanup activities (and I feel like I know where the trash is). I said no, and moved on.

I did see the woman want to contribute, which was cool, but she almost went for a swim. She wanted to get a trash can out of the crotch of a tree. She stood up in the canoe and almost swamped it. She did manage to grab it and throw it in the canoe, so that's great, nice to have a little help. I think the name on their van was Bob's Carpentry or something like that. I can't say whether he's any good, but his heart's in the right place so that count's for something.

Several trips later, I had a full basket, and had managed to wrestle a big wheel out of the river. It weighted a ton. I managed to hoist it on to the rear deck and head on my way. When I reached the logjam downstream (which I barely cleared empty), I nearly swamped the kayak, bit I did lost the basket, creating a huge trash spill. I paddled frantically collecting everything for the second time.

When I'd collected everything, I turned around and realized I'd lost the big wheel. Damn. All thet work. I know at some point I'll find it again, but it must have sank like a rock.

No comments: