Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hunters Rendezvous

I needed to get a new kayak. I reviewed many websites, made some phone calls, and I could not find another Dirigo 120. Bummer, so I looked at dozens of other models and manufacturers.

Obviously my clean-up efforts are no place for a kayak costing thousands, and generally the touring kayaks are narrower and more cirved on the bow and stern. That won't work. I saw the Dirigo 106, which just seems to be a bit shorter, but the length helps with tracking. So I was prepared to select another model.

I intended to go up to Amherst NH, since they had a bunch of models in stock. But then I remembered a little hunting store nearby. Right on Rte. 119, I'd never stopped in - I'm not a big fan of hunting. Nonetheless, I walked up, told the guys I was looking for a kayak, but didn't want a sit-on-top model. He said "I only have one - it's on the end of the rack."

I walked over, and lo and behold, a Dirigo 120, a model that has a couple more features, like a drain plug, and a fishing rod holder (I don't fish, but maybe I will, or I'll use it for a lock.) AND, the guy wanted to move the item, and he gave me a sweet deal. Thank you Hunters Rendezvous!

No comments: