Sunday, October 7, 2007

Nashua River Lancaster

Saturday was a spectacular day, so I decided to try to work on an area that's been a problem for a long time - between rt. 117 and Center Rd. There's a corn field that's private property, but apparently the owner is nice enough to let paddlers park there.

I walked down to the river and it was so low. I know it hasn't rained in weeks, but I was still surprised. So I threw in and began the first trash run with my new kayak. There were numerous items, which wasn't a big surprise since that part of the river's been a bit inaccessible this year. But I got downstream to where I hoped, the fork where the river splits around a small island and it forks off to a dead end stream.

There's a huge logjam there. I cleaned up a tire, and a basket full of trash, and headed back upstream to unload it. But the river's so shallow, it was tricky to get back, but I managed, and headed back for another load. I filled up again and went back to the truck.

I didn't make a dent in that pile. It's just so huge, and tough to get into. Honestly, if I had good tough hip-waders, I could do a lot more. After all, the water's only about 2 feet deep there right now.

No comments: