Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Brand Awareness

As a marketing pro, I've spent my career helping companies build awareness for their brands. Because of my marketing bretheren, companies have built products that are instantly recognizable from a great distance. Mountain Dew, Budweiser, Miller Lite, Dunkin Donuts, Coca-Cola, the list goes on. I can spot those brands in the piles of rubbish that collect in the rivers.

I'm sure those companies would say they can't control how their products are disposed of, once used, and that they're not responsible. And to a point, they're right. But when is the last time you saw any effort by a beverage manufacturer or a coffee chain to educate its customers about being responsible when disposing of the empty container. I'm not sure I've ever seen it.

I think I'll start a whole new genre of product shots. You know the ones: product alone, product in use, product in its environment, product with a hot model. Perhaps I'll call it "product defacing the planet". I'll show the gatorade trucker bombs full of piss, the Dunkin Donuts cups among the lily pads, the Bud cans drifting down the river. There's some brand awareness no one wants.

No comments: