Monday, August 27, 2007

Saco River Camping and Kayaking

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I've been busy paddling! I went up to the Saco River in Conway, NH to go camping for the weekend with my daughter and her friend. The girls had a great time and didn't want to leave when it was time to go.

The guys and I hired a shuttle to take us upstream so we could paddle back to our campsite. The shuttle mormally runs about 7 miles, but they cut the route short because the water was really low.

The water was low, but it was still passable. I love the Saco River! It's so beautiful and the water is so clear. We saw some great birds too - I think they were Turkey Vultures - huge - they look like really big hawks. Does anyone know if that's what they are?

Like any river, especially a well-traveled one, there's trash in the Saco too. It's really hard to imagine how anyone could possibly look at the Saco in all it's beauty and decide to throw thier beer cans in. I'm not against having a few beers and enjoying the great outdoors, but I never let my trash in to the water.

Maybe next year I'll plan a trip and bring the laundry basket and give the Saco a day of attention. That's one long river though... maybe a week long trip down??

No comments: