Sunday, August 5, 2007

Bolton Flats - Nashua River

Yesterday I paddled from the Oxbow at Still River up to Rt. 117. That's a challenging upstream paddle... especially with no portages. My goal was to get past the logjamb that's about 2/3 of the way between the 2 points, collect some materials and drop them at Rt. 117.

My goal was to work on this difficult middle section of the stretch between the two points. With so many logjambs and obstructions, it's a hard stretch of river to transport a full load of trash.

This stretch is really shaping up. I think with one more trip from Rt. 117, and maybe 1 or 2 from the Oxbow, that part of the river will be trash free, except for a few very large items I can't budge.

When that happens, I want to get together with a couple of guys and paddle from Rt. 117 down to the dam in Pepperell just to enjoy the clean river. I'm sure there will be a few items to collect, there always is, but the huge piles of trash, tires, propane tanks, and coolers are gone, at least from that part of the river. Upstream from Rt. 117 still has some big issues, but at least a 1-way trip is easier in that area.

No comments: