Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day 2008 Cleanup

What would Earth Day be without a blog post? This weekend I had the pleasure of paddling down the Nashua River with a couple of friends. We did find a fair amount of new trash, but it wasn't that bad. I grabbed a bag of trash and a tire and my buddy Dennis also grabbed a bag of trash.
For Earth Day, I took someone special out for her first paddle. The Squannacook River makes a great first paddle, and I think she's hooked. She also got a chance to see me in my element, cleaning up what little trash there is in the Squannacook.
But the day wasn't over - on Earth Day I do tend to want to do something on terra firma, so we grabbed my wheelbarrow and cleaned up my street - well about 1/4 mile of it or so. It's kind of funny in a way... for all the drunk driving laws, virtually all the roadside trash you find is empty beer cans, nip bottles, and even small bottles of stuff like Vodka. We found about 6 Smirnoff Vodka bottles all about the same size, all on the same side of the road. So it seems someone polishes off one of these on a regular basis - possibly on their way home - and throws it out the window in the same spot. ah well.
Happy Earth Day everyone!

No comments: