Monday, April 23, 2012

Nashua River - Earth Day

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have still been cleaning up the rivers when I get the opportunity. Earth Day was yesterday, but since I had prior obligations, I went out Saturday morning to my favorite spot - The Nashua River at The Oxbow National Wildlife Refuge.
I loaded the boat with 2 laundry baskets, grabbed my work gloves and headed upstream. I decided to go upstream either as far as I could go or until I thought I would have a full boat, whichever came first.
I made it up to the Bolton Flats area and found both the need to portage and the makings of a full cargo load, so I started loading the boat. I found a number of large plastic items like a sled, some milk crates, and some sort of ride-on toy. After wrapping a bungee, around them I started on the usual bottles and cans.
As I worked my way downstream, I found 2 car tires and rims. While I wouldn't normally overload the boat with 2 tires, 2 full baskets, and some other plastic items, I knew the low water level wouldn't last and some of these things might soon be out of reach.
It made quite a delicate balancing act out of the ride back, but in one trip I filled the rack on the truck and made a nice dent in the amount of debris.
Happy Earth Day!

No comments: