Sunday, March 23, 2008

Squannacook River

I finally got a chance to get back out on the river - it's so good for my head. I went to the Squannacook River in West Groton. The ice was up to the boat launch so I portaged through the woods a ways and threw in.
The current was strong and was a pretty good paddle after a couple of months off. There were some new blowdowns, particularly one just below the Bertozzi rapids. I might have been able to get over it, but really didn't want to risk swamping in the icy water.
There wasn't much trash either, I did a pretty good job and only came away with a basket full - and nothing too nasty either, mostly Dunkin Donuts cups and water or beer bottles.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We put in below harbor dam and had to get around about 8 trees. There was lots of trash in the river level was at 5ft. Ive not been in this river for about 20 years bertozzi ripids was called silkys back then. The rapids are still quite loud and yes theres a tree that needs cutting about halfway through the rapids.